Six and ten

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 13 17:04:34 UTC 2002

At 5:47 PM +0100 12/13/02, Jan Ivarsson TransEdit wrote:
>A translator's problem:
>
>A guy who is a Bears fan (but lives in LA) has bought a dish antenna
>because he thinks that the Bears will get to the Super Bowl. He has
>paid 4000 $ for the dish and is deceived. He says:
>"I spent four grand for the dish.
>And what do I get? Six and ten!"
>
>My question is: What does he mean by "six and ten"?

Presumably the best record the Bears could finish with.  After ending
up 13-3 (with a lot of fortunate bouncings of the ball their way)
last year, they've suffered a lot of injuries this year and haven't
really taken to playing in Champaign-Urbana while their home stadium
(Soldiers' Field in Chicago) is being rehabbed), and are currently
3-10, extremely unlikely to finish even at the lowly 6-10.  It's not
an expression, just a disappointing record the Bears are almost
certain not to reach.

Larry