Satee/Satay (1904, 1920); Oyster Crackers (1857)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 16 03:00:52 UTC 2002

SATEE/SATAY

   OED has 1934 for "satay."  This is one of the national dishes of the East Indies, but I didn't see it in early explorers' journals.

LETTERS OF A JAVANESE PRINCESS
by Raden Adjeng Kartini
translated from the original Dutch by
Agnes Louise Symmers
New York: Alfred A. Knopf
1920

Pg. 242:  And it was not the despised "nonas"* who did this, but white people of unmixed blood; educated, and brought up with every advantage.
*A half-breed, child of a native mother and European father.

Pg. 306 (August 10, 1904 letter):  Every time a goat or a sheep is butchered a tax of twenty cents is paid.  A Satee*-merchant who butchers two every day, must pay this tax, which amounts to one hundred and forty-four florins in the course of a year.
*Satee is a dish composed of meat strung on a stick and roasted.

OYSTER CRACKERS

   OED has 1873 for "oyster crackers."

   FRESH LEAVES by Fanny Fern, (New York: Mason brother, 1857), MOA-Michigan Books database, pg. 72:
   ...a basket of oyster crackers...

   21 December 1858, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 5 ad:
   Buy Bond's Celebrated Boston and Oyster Crackers for the Holidays.

(This ad possibly appeared earlier in the American Periodical Series.  I'll check that again when I buy another Columbia library pass next year--ed.)