Barry Popik in Safire Column

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Dec 16 03:11:24 UTC 2002

   Larry Horn asks if Barry or I found any evidence of "GOP" rhyming with
"top" outside of the Cole Porter song.  The answer for our article is
no, although I'll let Barry comment on whether he's found it anywhere
else.

    I wouldn't expect it though. Cole Porter's "GOP" (rhymes with "top")
arises from great exuberance, permitting Reno to pronounce "Gop" as
if it is a word that Billy has just spelled (gee-oh-pee). This is
nonsense arising from (and justified by) great exuberance.

    For lexical creativity deriving from exuberance, cf. Schiller's Ode to Joy,
which begins with "Joy, divine spark of the gods," and two lines down says
"Wir betreten feuertrunken/Himmlische dein Heiligtum." (literally:
"We enter drunk with fire/Oh heavenly one your sanctuary.")

     What interests me is feuertrunken ("drunk with fire").  Evidently
this is a mixed metaphor.  Joy has just been described as a spark.
Drinking and joy are usually connected with wine. Usually the mixing
of metaphors is a flaw to be avoided, but in this case it's
justified. The Ode to Joy is one happy poem!
Schiller seems to be saying: "Yes, I know I'm mixing metaphors, but
I'm in such an exuberant, exultant mood, I don't care; if joy is a
spark, let's get drunk on sparks."

     Btw, Beethoven took just the beginning of the poem for his Ninth Symphony.

Gerald Cohen