Oyster Crackers (1857)

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Dec 16 13:11:12 UTC 2002

Barry P noted:

OYSTER CRACKERS

   OED has 1873 for "oyster crackers."

   FRESH LEAVES by Fanny Fern, (New York: Mason brother, 1857), MOA-Michigan
Books database, pg. 72:
   ...a basket of oyster crackers...

   21 December 1858, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 5 ad:
   Buy Bond's Celebrated Boston and Oyster Crackers for the Holidays.

(This ad possibly appeared earlier in the American Periodical Series.  I'll
check that again when I buy another Columbia library pass next year--ed.)
<<

Let me add that, to my knowledge, this is an Americanism, or at least is
today.  The Brits I have checked with are unfamiliar with this food in the
UK.  At least it is not traditional fare, though maybe lately it has slipped
in.  Of course, they are most closely associated with chowder, which is an
American thing.

The most familiar brand of oyster crackers seems to be Westminster, made in
Vermont.

Frank Abate