Query: Why the plural in Spanish "Buenas dias," etc.? (OT)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 16 17:45:31 UTC 2002

In a message dated 12/15/02 9:35:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, gcohen at UMR.EDU
writes:

> Why does Spanish use the plural for Buenas dias (Good day),
>  Buenas tardes (Good afternoon) and Buenas noches (Good night)?  I
>  know of no other language that does this.

A quick Google search turns up no Web page (in English or Spanish or any
other language) that answers this question.  I did however find, at URL
http://www.mapuexpress.net/publicaciones/raguileo.htm, that in Mapuche (a
Native American language of Mexico), which apparently has a dual number,
"Buenos dias" is "Mari Mari".

     - Jim Landau