YMCA Bangkok, Thailand COOK BOOK (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 16 19:02:54 UTC 2002

   EARLY SIAMESE DISHES (1952) is "Not on Shelf."  I'M SHOCKED!!
   This is the next earliest Thai cookbook in English.  Tell me if you want more detail and I'll copy it.  I'll extensively copy Thai words because it's the first such book we have.

YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATIONS
BANGKOK, THAILAND
  COOK BOOK
1963

Pg. XXXV
   VEGETABLES
Phuk Bung
Katin
Kui Chai
Tamlung
Gachad
Phuk Chee...Coriander
Khun Chai...Chinese celery.
Phuk Khom...A kind of spinach, sold in bunches in market.
Hua Plee...Banana flower.
Tung Oh...Chinese vegetable used in soup.
Nor Mai...Bamboo shoot.
Makhua...Eggplant, purple or green or white long fruit.
Makhua Khun...Sharp-yellow eggplant.
Makhua Chowphya...Pale green eggplant.
Makhua Puang...Small pale green berries used in curry.
Ma Uk..Green or Yellow eggplant with a beige hairy peel used in turtle curry or shrimp paste.
Big Chilli
Chilli
Little Chilli
Yellow Chilli
Ton Hom..Spring onion.
Ton Katiem...Leek.
Thua Ngork...Bean Sprout.
Thua Fak Yow...Longbean.
Thua Khek...French bean or string bean.
Thua Lan Tow...Peas.
Thua Leung...Soya beans.
Thua Khiew...Green peas.
Thua Dam...Black beans.
Pg. XXXVI:
Taeng Ran...Zucchini Squash.
Thua Si Chompoo...Pink beans.
Thua Daeng...Red beans.
Thua Thong...Yellow beans.
Thua Pu...Winged beans.
Fak Khiew...White gourd.
Fak Thong...Pumpkin.
Buab...Sponge Gourd.
Taeng Kwa...Cucumber.
Phak Kard Hom...Lettuce.
Phak Kard Khow...Green lettuce.
Kalam Plee...Cabbage.
Kalam Dork...Cauliflower.
Kalam Pom...Kohlrabi.
Hom Lek...Shallot.
Hom Yai...Onion.
Katiem...Garlic.
   OTHER INGREDIENTS
Khao tang...Dried rice, can be bought in sheet.
Khao krieb...Sliced dry shrimp and fish paste, fried when used.
Scented water...Flower scented water used in kanom.
Tao Chiew...Bean Curd.
Malet Bua...Dried Lotus Seeds.
Pang Poh Piet...Spring Roll Wrappers.
   ROOTS
Man-gaew...Yam-bean.
Takrai...Lemon grass.
Kachai...Yellow roots, a kind of ginger.
Rak Pak Chee...Coriander root.
Khing...Ginger.
Kha...A kind of light brown root used in some kind of curries.
Phuak...Taro, brown root.
Man Tayd...Sweet potatoes.
Man Farang...Potatoes.
Man Sampalung...Tapioca.
   LEAVES
Horapha...Green leaves and stems, small white flowers, smells somewhat like mint (used for curry).
Pg. XXXVII:
Bai Makrood...Leaf of Makrood (see fruit).
Bai Kapraw...SImilar to Horapha, but has white stems and different smell.
Bai Mangluck...Similar to Horapha but different smell.
Toey...Cluster of sword-shaped leaves.
Saranay...Mint.
   DRY INGREDIENTS
Hed Hu Nu...Brown hard dry mushrooms (soak in water before using) dry or jelly mushrooms.
Hed Hom...Fragrant mushrooms, black dried.
Fong Tao Hoo...Hard dry yellow leaves (soak in water before using).
Nor Mai Jeen...Dried Bamboo shoot.
Dork Mai Jeen...Dark yellow dried tube flower.
Woon Sen...Vermicelli, thin threadlike white spaghetti.
Tang Chai...Pickled vegetable, used in soup, noodles, etc.
Sen Mee...Dried Chinese noodle (soak in water before using).
   SPICES
Piew makrood...Makrood skin, used in curries.
Yee Rah...Carraway seeds.
Look Chan...Nutmeg.
Krawan...Cardamom.
Bai Krawan...Bay leaves.
Karn Plu...Clove.
Ob Cheuy...Cinnamon.
Pong Curry...CUrry powder.
Prick Haeng...Dried Chillies.
Yah Faran...Saffron.
Prick Thai...Pepper.
Nga...Sesame.
Khamin...Tumeric.
Horapa...Basil.
Dock Chan Tead...Mace.
Med Pagad...Mustard seed.
Macam...Jamarind.
Yee Rah...Fennel or carraway seed.
Cha Ame...Licorice.
Pg. XXXVIII:
   FRUIT USED IN COOKING
Som Sa...Green or yellow fruit, looks lik a round rough orange.
Ra Kam...Orange-red fruit.
Makrood...Green fruit with rough peel; use leaves and peel in curiies.
Madan...Carcinia, green, transparent, very sour taste.
Manao...Lime.
Makork...A kind of fruit used for making chili paste.
Talingpling...A kind of fruit similar to madan in taste, but rough.
Krajiep...Roselle.
Pg. XXIX:
   FRUIT
Som oh...Pomelo.
Som khiew wan...A kind of tangerine.
Som klieng...Orange.
Som jook...A kind of orange.
Kluey hom...A yellow long banana.
Kluey huk mook...A kind of yellow-reddish banana.
Kluey nam lawa...A kind of banana.
Kluey khai...A kind of small banana.
Mangkut...Mangosteen.
Noy na...Custard apple.
Lamyai...Dragon's eyes (brown and in cluster).
Kanoon...Jackfruit.
Turian...Durian.
Ngoh...Rambutan.
Langsard...Lansium domesticum (yellow and slightly sticky in cluster).
Mamuang...Mango.
Maprang...A kind of yellow plum, shaped like mango and in season at the same time.
Mayom...Star gooseberry, small, yellow, transparent, on branch.
Sapparot...Pineapple.
Malakor...Papaya.
Farang...Guava.
Lamoot...Sapodilla (potato fruit) dark brown fruit.
Maprow...Coconut.
Chompoo...Rose Apple.
Linchi...Lichi.
Taengtai...Melon.
Kathorn...Wood apple-brown, spongy, cotton wooly inside.
Mafeung..Carambola star-fruit--green and yellow--transparent.
Sake...Bread fruit.
Tab Tim...Pomegranate.
Pg. XL:
   FISH
Mud fish
Fla Chorn...Serpent headed fish.
Pla Dook...Cat fish.
Pla Mor Ted...Tilapia.
Pla Lai...Eel.
Pla Salid...Pilot fish.
Sea Fish
Pla Maw Talay...Whiting
Pla Gao...Greenling
Pla Kapong Dang...Red Snapper
Pla Kapong Kao...White Sea Perch
Pla Kapong Dam...Giant Sea Bass
Pla Ga Rang...Black Grouper
Pla Nam Dok Mai...Barracuda
Pla Ka Bok...Mullet
Pla Kulao...White Sea Bass
Pla Oh--Tuna Fish--Large member of the mackerel family.  Blue fin tuna is most often seen in the fish market here.
Pla Insee--Wahoo (Mackerel)
Pg. XLI:
Pla Lin Ma...Sole
Pla Charamed...Pompano
Pla Too...Herring--Small and silver.
Pla Muk---Squid, Cuttle fish or inkfish.
SHell FIsh
Gung Nang...Small shrimp.
Gung Hang...Dried shrimp.
Gung Yai...Prawns (Large shrimps).
Gang...Rock Lobster.
Bpoo...Crab.
Hoy Chai...Scallops
Ho Ta Lup...Clams
Hoy Nang Lum...Oysters
Hoy Ga Pong...Mussels
Hoy Ma Laeng Poo...Sea Mussels
Hoy Kraeng...Cockle
Hoy Kohng Talay...Abalone

Pg. 5:  Khao Tang (sheets of dried cooked rice peeled off bottom of rice kettle.)
Pg. 6:  Lumpia (Philippines).
Pg. 6:  Mieng Kham.
Pg. 47: Sa-Nwin-Ma-Kin (Burmese).
Pg. 47: Ta Cao (Thai).
Pg. 48: Thai Custard (Sangkhaya).
Pg. 69: Kaeng Masaman.
Pg. 89:  Johnny Marzetti.  (OK, it's not really a Thai cookbook--ed.)
Pg. 89: Mohinga--Burmese National Dish.
Pg. 90: Rice Noodles With Peanut Sauce (Nam Prik Knom Jin).
Pg. 90: Mee Krob.
Pg. 91: Wun Sen (Thai vermicelli with vegetables).
Pg. 91: Sang's Thai Noodle Soup.
Pg. 108: Chicken Curry (Kaeng Kai).
Pg. 111: Chicken and Prok Adobo (Filipino).
Pg. 113: Khow Mok Gai--Moslim Chicken and Rice.
Pg. 114: Sate Ajam--Grilled Chicken (Indonesian).
Pg. 116: Buffadoo (Portuguese Duck)(Burmese).
Pg. 121: Lethoke (Burmese salad).
Pg. 122: Thanat (Burmese salad).
Pg. 123: Thai Salad (Green Salad With Peanut Dressing).
Pg. 128: Sinsolo Dinner (Korean).
Pg. 129: Tapioca Yaku Soup (Thai).
Pg. 151:  MENUS FROM MANY LANDS
   _Burmese_
Nga-Baung Doke (Burmese Steamed Fish)...pg. 58
Winter Melon Broth...pg. 130
Beef Curry (Burmese)...pg. 65
or Chicken Curry (Burmese)...pg. 108
Steamed Rice Fried White Gourd...pg. 139
Thanat Salad...pg.122
or Lethoke Salad...pg. 121
Sa-Nwin-Ma-Kin...pg. 47
Pg. 156:
   _THai_
Mieng Kham...pg. 6
Stuffed Tapioca Balls...pg. 10
Sang's Thai Noodle Soup...pg. 91
Gai Yang (Thai)...pg. 106
Chicken Curry...pg. 108
or Masaman Curry...pg. 69
Steamed White Rice, Chopped cucumbers and Chopped Tomatoes
Mango Chutney...pg. 102
Thai Custard in Green Coconuts or Fresh Fruit...pg. 48