Ngapi/Gnapee & Balachong (1830)(or 1825?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 18 22:56:42 UTC 2002

We have a 1835 cite for _ngapi_.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED

THE MODERN TRAVELLER.
A DESCRIPTION, GEOGRAPHICAL, HISTORICAL, AND TOPOGRAPHICAL, OF THE VARIOUS COUNTRIES OF THE GLOBE.
IN THIRTY VOLUMES.
by Josiah Conder
Volume the Eleventh
Burmah, Siam, &c.
London: James Duncan
1830
(The NYPL also has these volumes from 1825.  I asked for that, but I was given all 1830 volumes.  You can check OCLC Worldcat for the volume dates--ed.)

Pg. 149:  *_Gnapee_ is a sort of sprat, which, "half-pickled, half putrid," is (Pg. 150--ed.) a favorite sauce with the Birmans, as a relish to their rice.  _Zeik_ signifies a landing-place.

Pg. 157:  They were loaded chiefly with _gnapee_ and salt-fish...

Pg. 182:  From Martaban are exported tin, rice, wild cardamums, edible birds' nests from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and a species of caviare called _balachong_, compounded from the spawn of fish and pounded shrimps, made into thin cakes: great quantities of this article are consumed in (Pg. 183--ed.) Ava and by the Malays, but it is very disgusting to a European palate.

Pg. 292:  The food of the Siamese consists chiefly of rice, which is eaten with a substance called _balachong_, "a strange compound of things savoury and loathsome, but in such general use, that no one thinks of eating without some portion of it."

THE MODERN TRAVELLER.
by Josiah Conder
VOLUME THE FOURTEENTH
TURKEY
1830

Pg. 138:  "From the coffee-houses, we walked on to a _tabagie_ near _Koum-Kapoussi_, the next gate, where we dined upon _kebab_.  This dish, which any palate would reckon a delicacy, consists of mutton chopped in small bits, either with or without herbs, larded with milk and (Pg. 139--ed.) butter, and fried upon a wooden skewer over a small brazier."

(No "Turkish Delight."  I'm looking for food items in all thirty volumes, but this takes some time--ed.)