Buck and a quarter/buck and a half

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sat Dec 21 17:56:32 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:38:08PM -0500, James A. Landau wrote:
> Has anyone noticed a usage of "buck and a quarter" to mean one hundred twenty
> five dollars and "buck and a half" to mean one hundred fifty dollars?

HDAS has an entry for this, with _buck_ meaning 'one hundred dollars',
'one hundred (of anything, as pounds of weight)', and 'one thousand/
one hundred thousand dollars'. The earliest example of _buck and a half_
for $150 is 1974, though I seem to recall someone finding an antedating
for one or another of these senses.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED