know from

Philip Trauring philip at CS.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Dec 27 20:03:10 UTC 2002

I think there are two different constructions here. One is 'know
from' and the  other is 'know X from Y'.

Examples such as 'he doesn't know his ass from his elbow' are also
idioms, whose constructions I would argue are not easily tracked and
frequently flaunt normal grammatical rules. Does anyone have an
example of this 'know X from Y' construction that isn't an insult?

I'm not convinced the two constructions have the same origin.

A typical NY Jewish construction might be self-depreciating - such as
'I don't know from that'. I don't think I've ever heard someone say
'I don't know my ass from my elbow'. :-)

Philip