....the lion

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 30 23:31:46 UTC 2002

At 5:35 PM -0500 12/30/02, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Maybe I missed something:  Were the NPR people really talking rhymes or
>games, or was the name used seriously??

Hi, Beverly,

No, the idea of the limerick was from Peter Richardson and me
(independently, although he was the one who actually tried one out--I
had trouble coming up with a third rhyme); evidently the
"an-DROC-uh-leez" pronunciation was seriously uttered on NPR.  My
response here to you was that the schwa insertion may be
phonologically motivated but the stress shift indicates unfamiliarity
with the name.

Larry