Fez (1797) ; Beurek (1855)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 1 01:26:33 UTC 2002

CONSTANTINOPLE ANCIENT AND MODERN
by James Dallaway
London: T. Bensley
1797

Pg. 7:  Harem (Not an OED antedate, but a nice explanation--ed.)
Pg. 31:  Mahramah...feredje.  (Two garments worn by women.  Not in OED?--ed.)
Pg. 77:  Sherbet.  (FYI.  Not an OED antedate--ed.)
Pg. 81:  The Ramazzan, or Turkish Lent....
Pg. 101:  The term "drogoman" is a French corruption from the Turkish "terdji-man," which signifies interpreter.
Pg. 138:  The term sultana is purely European; for sultan is indifferently applied to both sexes.
Pg. 140:  She had surveyed us through the glimpse of a blind, very properly called "la jalousie"....
Pg. 179:  Our repast was prepared at mid-day, under a shady tree, and consisted of pilav, and raki diluted with water.
Pg. 266:  They are dried as raisins. eaten fresh, or the expressed juice boiled to a thick syrup, which they call "petmez," and which, with milk, forms a chief diet of the women and children.
Pg. 354:  ("Henna" described--ed.)
Pg. 355:  The elder men shave the head, as the Turks, covering it with a "fez," or cloth scull-cap, and a blue turban, for the white muslin is prohibited to any but a musulman.
(OED/Merriam-Webster have c.1803 for "fez"--ed.)

HISTORY OF THE CAPITAL OF ASIA AND THE TURKS (1855)

Volume I has a chapter "The Fish Market."  "Toon, (tunny)" is on page 55.
Volume II has a chapter "Confectionery, Water-Carriers, Aqueduct."  "Halva" is on page 4.  "Beurek" is on page 8.
   Tons of stuff here, but I didn't have time, and I have more parking tickets to do tomorrow.