score = '20' in headline

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Feb 1 18:23:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:

#Assuming the intention here wasn't to create a somewhat off-color
#pun, I would guess the use of "scores" rather than "dozens" here was
#motivated by the informality of the latter and/or the greater
#cardinality of the former.  Obviously if there had been 300 involved,
#"Hundreds of..." would have been used, but since "scores" is the next
#approximator down from "hundreds", it's more felicitious for evoking
#an approximated value in the 60-90 range.

That was my take, too. Regardless of the reason, I'm glad to see an old
friend appearing in public, as it were.

#       The hard part is NOT
#thinking about the pun once you've thought of it.

AAMOF, I hadn't, and I don't find it very strong here. I don't associate
that sense of "scoring" with forcing sex on someone who is too young to
be an appropriate sexual partner under any circumstances.

-- Mark A. Mandel