"molotov cocktail"

Elaine -HFB- Ashton elaine at CHAOS.WUSTL.EDU
Fri Feb 1 19:08:09 UTC 2002

James A. Landau [JJJRLandau at AOL.COM] quoth:
*>
*>However, during the Russo-Finnish War (30 Nov 1939 to 13 March 1940),
*>Molotov was considered by the Finns to be the worst of the Soviets and
*>the man largely responsible for the attack on Finland.  Hence one can
*>imagine the Finns naming a home-made weapon for use against the Soviet
*>Army after the man they considered the chief invader.

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/war3.html

Mentions that the Molotov Cocktail was 'invented' during the winter war.

"Thus Finland for instance suffered a virtually complete lack of anti-tank
weapons, forcing the soldiers to destroy the Soviet tanks through close-in
fighting, using improvised explosive and incendiary devices. In fact it
was during the Winter War that the 'Molotov Cocktail', consisting of a
bottle filled with a mixture of gasoline, sand and soap suds, with a
burning rag in its mouth, was invented and first put to use."

The book titled "Frozen Hell" by William Trotter has an excellent
bibliography and I remember reading "My Finnish Diary" by Sir Walter
Citrine [ 1940 ] which may have what you seek.

e.