"Rackensack" (=Arkansas) query

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Feb 3 17:19:28 UTC 2002

   As a few ads-l messages have suggested, "Rackensack" (Arkansas;
dweller in Arkansas) is probably based on the pronunciation of
"Arkansas." Might we deal here with a conflation of "Arkansas" and
"razorback" (= pig having a sharp ridge-like back)?-- RA (of
razorback) + K (of Arkansas) + ENS ;(actually should be ANS; of
Arkansas) + ACK (of razorback).

---Gerald Cohen