My Ty (1810)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 3 23:26:40 UTC 2002

ROUND THE WORLD
IN THE YEARS 1800, 1801, 1802, 1803, and 1804:
IN WHICH THE AUTHOR VISITED THE PRINCIPAL ISLANDS IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN,
AND THE ENGLISH SETTLEMENTS OF PORT JACKSON AND NORFOLK ISLAND
by John Turnbull
Philadelphia: Benjamin and Thomas Kite
1810

   This is another book on the American Antiquarian Society's micro-cards; these are just awful to read.

(Page cut off)
   When these ceremonies were gone through, Pomarie began to examine every object around him, often expressing his admiration with loud and energetic expressions of _my ty, my ty_ (very good, very good.)
(Page cut off)
   This ava or yava is a root of a hot intoxicating quality, which soon benumbs the senses....
Pg. 164:
   The tarra, yam, and sweet potatoe, are productions common to all the islands.... (...)
   The mountain plantain (Pg. 165--ed.) is of the greatest service to the natives; for with these, some cocoa-nut water, and a little mahie (a little sour paste made of the bread-fruit when ripe) well beat up together, they make a dish called pop poye, eaten by all ranks from the king to the lowest of inhabitants.  The same food is universally used in Otaheite.
(Pop poye=poi?  OED has that about ten years later--ed.)
Pg. 197:
   Not one corner nor crevice of the house but was filled with natives; My tye, My tye, Good, Very good, resounded from every part.
Pg. 281:
   Popoy is a dish in general use amongst these people; it is a mixture of the bread-fruit and mahie, well beat up together, and mixed with the juice of the cocoa-nut; the mountain plantain is sometimes added; it nearly resembles our frumentary.
Pg. 282:
   The Oura or bread-fruit, the bread of all the Society Islands, grows on a tree not unlike a middle-size oak; the leaves both in colour and substance much resemble a fig-leaf, but are much larger and have scolloped edges.