Snapper, Grouper, Rockfish, Stone Bass, Grunts, Porgoes (1679)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 4 03:17:32 UTC 2002

A DISCOURSE OF THE STATE OF HEALTH
IN THE ISLAND OF JAMAICA
by Thomas Trapham
London: R. Boulter
1679

   Normally, I'd stay away from Jamaica research for two reasons: I've never been there, and Fred Cassidy has.  However, the NYPL has so many books from the 1600s on Jamaica, and it's so important for the entire Americas, I'm looking into it.
   OED's first "Jewfish" is from this book.  So how come Snapper is 1697?  Grouper is 1697?  Stone Bass is 1698?  Grunts is 1713?  Porgy is 1725?

Pg. 59:
   ...also the water Million, the superlative Pine, various Orenges and Lemons, Citrons, Pomegranates, Cushewes (OED 1703, M-W 1598 for "cashew"--ed.) Grapes, Dates, maiden Plantains, Bonanoes, Cherries, Tamarinds, Nasburies, Sower Sops, Pinguins, with many other....
   Next good Broths, with Mutton, Goat, or Fowls, well cooled with Purslain, Lettuce, Sorrel, Papas thickned with Potatoes, Yams rendred stomatick with our red Pepper as wholsome as the east Indian, serves very agreeable both to nourish and moisten, or else Piloe, for which our native Rice may serve, as a food easy of digestion may well be admitted likewise the young _Ocra_ (OED has 1707 of "okra," but M-W curiously also has 1679--ed.)(Pg. 60--ed.) an agreeable Food as well for the species as individual, dressed variously according to pleasure, besides Family of _Legumina_, of which there are more then thirty sorts, relished with salted Pork....

Pg. 64:
   The Manatee or Sea Cow must not be forgotten....

Pg. 65:
   The Jew fish crowds to be one of the first three of our most worthy Fish...  (OED citation, not looking at the rest of the page!--ed.)
   ...Cods....
   The choice Mullet brings up the next division crowded with various Snappers, Rock fish, Stone bass, Cavallies, Groopers, Jacks, Grunts, Porgoes (Porgy?--ed.), old Wives, Tarpums, Spanish Mackeril, Barrocoota, Gar fish, Grash fish, Mud fish, Cat fish, Silver fish, Pilchers, (Pg. 66--ed.) Sprat, Drummers, Parret fish, Dolphins, Place, Flounders, Bonetoes, Thornback, Stingraies, Murraies, Lobsters, Crawfish, Shrimps, Sea Crabs, Eels, _&c._ with many others not yet named, though daily baptized in their own Element, or not remembred in so great a crowd.