18c accents?

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 4 13:24:41 UTC 2002

Wolfram and Schilling-Estes have an excellent summary
history of American English in Chapter 4 of their
American English (Blackwell 1998).  They indicate that
British English speakers were already complaining about
differences in American English in 1735 and that the
term "American English" appears in print in 1782.
Elsewhere I've read 1750 as a date by which English in
the Americas was recognized as distinct from British
English.

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University