Chocolate in America (1765?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 5 08:33:44 UTC 2002

"Chocolate became the fashionable drink in Europe in the eighteenth century, and was first manufactured in America in 1765 at Milton Lower Mills, near Dorchester, Massachusetts...."
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999)

   Don't start Valentine's Day without this!
   George Thompson of NYU's Bobst Library informed me about the VIRGINIA GAZETTE INDEX, and I copied the entries to the food items.  Looking at it now:

Chocolate...

   imported to James river, lower district, Va., from Antigua, W. I. (...)
      from Boston, Mass., 29D52:32 (...)

(Chocolate was sold from Boston on December 29, 1752--ed.)

   imported to James river, upper district, Va., (...) from New York City, 1D52:31 (...)

(Chocolate was sold from New York City on December 1, 1752--ed.)

   imported to Rappahannock district, Va., from Philadelphia, Pa., 28Ag52:31, 17N52:22

(Chocolate was also sold from Philadelphia in 1752.  Surely, someone in those three cities built a chocolate manufacturing plant before 1765?--ed.)