"Robert Chapman, 81, Roget's Thesaurus Editor"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 5 23:47:07 UTC 2002

    I just got back from work (parking tickets--please, somebody shoot me)  and thought surely that somebody posted on this, but I guess not.  I knew of Chapman's work, but met him only once, at the 1999 DSNA meeting.
   Perhaps Ms. Miller can point it out to Safire for mention?  Perhaps an article link on the ADS web site?
   From the obituaries in the NEW YORK TIMES, 5 February 2002, pg. A23, col. 4 (also on the NYT web site):

_Robert Chapman, 81, Roget's Thesaurus Editor_
(...)
   In addition, Dr. Chapman was also the editor of the New Dictionary of American Slang (1986) and the Thesaurus of American Slang (1989), both published by HarperCollins.  He also edited the fourth edition of Roget's, published in 1977.
(...)