pianist vs. piano player

Michal Lisecki magura at GIGA.PL
Thu Feb 7 17:03:29 UTC 2002

Dear all,
perhaps the resources I've looked up were too poor or is it just that as a
non-native I am just not able to judge it by myself but what (if any) the
difference is between the two notions from the subject: "pianist" and
"piano player".
To the best of my knowledge, or perhaps rather to my "senses", I guess that
"pianist" refers mostly to the field of classical/chamber music or to those
artists who either play the piano solo or whose performance is central to
the rest of the group/band (in jazz?). Whereas "piano player" would then
perform as only one of the many members of a group/band.

Am I making any sense or rather a fool of myself? ;-> Are these context
sensitive? Help me out.
--
Michal Lisecki <magura at giga.pl>