Durra (1792)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 9 05:24:26 UTC 2002

TRAVELS THROUGH ARABIA
AND OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE EAST
performed by M. Niebuhr
translated into English by Robert Heron
in two volumes
volume one
Edinburgh:  R. Morison and Son
1792
reprinted by Garnet Publishing Ltd., Reading, 1994

   OED has 1798 for "durra."  I can do better, but this is the best I can do in today's spare time.

Illustration Opposite Pg. 248:  A woman selling bread.
Pg. 250:  They offered us a sort of _bowza_, which we found nauseous.
Pg. 298:  In none of the (Pg. 299--ed.) inns, could we find any other sort of food but coarse _Durra_ bread, made of millet with camel's milk; but the water is every where delicious.
Pg. 344:  However, all returned home, made good cheer, chewed _Kaad_, and burned spices in their houses.
Pg. 393:  The arable grounds among these hills are sown only with _durra_, a sort of coarse millet, or which the poorer people make their bread.