Papricash, Schill, Palachinka, Voslauer, Sligievitch (1884)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 10 00:33:28 UTC 2002

ADVENTURES IN SERVIA:
OR THE EXPERIENCES OF A MEDICAL FREE LANCE
AMONG THE BASHI-BAZOUKS, ETC.
by Alfred Wright
London: W. Swan Sonnenschein
1884

Pg. 27:
   That evening we dined with the doctor at his hotel.  He was an excellent host, and gave us a first-rate dinner _a la serbe_.  We began with papricash, a kind of tomato soup.  Then came caviare, fried schill, and cray-fish, then pork cutlets and beefsteaks served with potatoes and poached eggs.  Portions of roast goose and roast turkey figured most conspicuously in the meat course.  Then we had sweet omelettes and pancakes called palachinkas, and wound up with dessert and coffee.  For drinks we had a native wine called Voslauer which resembled burgundy in colour and flavour; champagne, and a spirit made from plums, called sligievitch, which had an (Pg. 28--ed.) agreeable odour, but, to my mind, a most horrible taste.

Pg. 113:  ...black bread, grilled mutton, biscuits, and sheep's-milk cheese.

Pg. 208:  "What!  you eat no Sauer Kraut in England?"

(OED has 1896 for "paprika."  OED has 1885 for "schill."  OED has 1929 for "palatschinken."  OED has 1920 for "Voslauer."  OED has 1885 for "slivovitz."  For "sheep's-milk cheese," OED has 1931 for Pecorino Romano but 1908 for Romano--ed.)