Papricash, Schill, Palachinka, Voslauer, Sligievitch (1884)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Feb 10 03:52:03 UTC 2002

        [David Bergdahl]
#>Barry writes that the OED has 1929 for "palatschinken."
#>
#>This spelling represents a folk etymology: ... it has nothing to do with
#>ham (Ger. "schinken"), being a crepes filled with
#>apricot and served with sour cream

        [Douglas Wilson]
#Is it thought/proposed then that when the Hungarian "palacsinta" was
#adopted into German it became "Palatschinke" rather than "Palatschinte" so
#that its plural would resemble "Schinken"?

I (also?) felt dubious of David B's hypothesis of folk etymology, though
for a less-informed reason. <tsch> is the normal German transcription of
the affricate represented by Hungarian <cs> and English <ch>, as in
"Deutsch". I *think* that it is rare to nonexistent in syllable onset
position in native standard German words, but common in some (southern?)
dialects (Swiss, Austrian, Bavarian?). So I don't think that your
average German would hear or see "Schink-" in "Palatschink-".

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large