Early English Books Online; Big Apple "whore theory" reappears

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 10 07:24:12 UTC 2002

BIG APPLE "WHORE THEORY" REAPPEARS (continuing saga)

   I checked again, and the Big Apple "whore theory" is back on the web.  Salwen just redesigned Salwen.com, that's all.  The counter--showing how many people are reading this libel--doesn't work.
   People on a JEOPARDY! web site (Google for "Big Apple" and "bordello") read Salwen's whore theory last month, then read Rudy Giuliani citing my research, and evaluated it as a web-site "tossup."
   Last Friday, in my miserable NYC parking ticket job, I was told by a senior judge to ignore ticket defects and find people guilty.  This is illegal.
   Anybody in Chicago or New York--just shoot me.  Please?

EARLY ENGLISH BOOKS ONLINE

   George Thompson told me that this new database is avilable at NYU, but I didn't see it in the A-Z list of their databases.  I did get on EEBO at the NYPL.
   It's a huge database and it offers full, picture text of very rare books, and it's good for what it is. The books are from about 1490-1700.
   The bad thing is that it does NOT have keyword text searching.  I can't type in "apple pie" and have all the citations shown in context.  Searching is by "keyword," but these are "author," "title," or "subject."
   A check for "slang" shows two well-known books:

A NEW DICTIONARY OF THE CANTING CREW by B. E. London (1699)
THE CANTING ACADEMY, OR, THE DEVILS CABINET OPENED by Richard Head (1673)

   However, there are 148 cookbooks!!!!