Caramel, Brocolis (1653); The Complete Cook (1655)

Barry A Popik bapopik at JUNO.COM
Mon Feb 11 09:38:25 UTC 2002

CARAMEL, BROCOLIS

   No, not caramel broccoli.  George Bush, Sr. still won't eat it.
   Again, from THE FRENCH COOK (1653), by Francis Pierre de La Varenne,
care of Early English Books Online:

Pg. 274:
   Potage of Brocolis, they are the young sprouts of Coleworts.
(OED and M-W have 1699 for "broccoli"--ed.)

Pg. 292:
      _How to make the Caramel._
   Melt some sugar with a little water, and let it seeth more than for a
conserve, put into it some sirrup of capilaire, and powre all into fresh
water.
(OED and M-W have 1725 for "caramel"--ed.)

THE COMPLEAT COOK (1655)

   I knew that eventually Early English Books would go online, but I
posted some findings in March 2001.  I cited THE COMPLEAT COOK from 1659,
but there's a copy from 1655.  It has such stuff as:

Pg. 27:  To make a Gooseberry Foole (OED antedate--ed.)
Pg. 30:  Spanish Cream
Pg. 59:  To make Furmity (Fummerty?  Frummery?--ed.)
Pg. 83:  To make tarts called Taffaty Tarts
Pg. 92:  A Spanish Olio
Pg. 119: To make poore knights  (OED antedate--ed.)
         To make Shrewsbury cakes (OED antedate--ed.)

(O.T.:  AOL MAIL has been down for a mere three hours!)