Jambalaya (1875); Chocolate Kisses (1874)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 13 11:36:44 UTC 2002

   Thanks to Allen Maberry for looking for "banana."
   I will be in Hawaii and then New Zealand from February 15-March 7.  Make your research requests now.
   When I come back, I'll JetBlue "Big Apple to Big Easy" some time after that.

JAMBALAYA

   I haven't beaten 1872 (DARE, OED), but these are interesting.

MOA database (Mich, Books)
LOUISIANA AS IT IS (1876), by Daniel Dennett, "Eureka" Press, New Orleans
Pg. 236:  We found them preparing their dinner, which invariably consists of water hens, or _poule d'eaux_, and boiled rice, highly seasoned and called _jombalyeeah_, and a pot of boiled....
Pg. 238:  Then comes the jombalyeeyah and the coffee....

MOA database (Cornell)
"The Old Way to Dixie," HARPER'S NEW MONTHLY MAGAZINE, January 1893, pg. 171:
   It's jambullade.

   From THE CULTIVATOR & COUNTRY GENTLEMAN, 22 July 1875, pg. 455, col. 2:

   _Jombalyeeyah._--The Orleanian gives the following receipt for this favorite Louisiana Creole dish:
   It is composed first, of rice; then large red (Col. 3--ed.) beans; then rice again; then smoked sausages; then more rice; then ham; then red peppers; rice again; then chicken; more rice; then oysters; condiments _a discretion_; boil all together.  You'll be happy.
   The New-Orleans Cooperative News makes the dish as follows:
   A half gallon of washed rice is put into a large camp kettle, and with sufficient water set to boiling.  After a while slices of fat pickled pork are put in; at intervals, half fried pieces of bear meat, venison and ham are dropped in and well stirred; then a loggerhead turtle, and by and by three owls, two wild ducks, a half dozen squirrels, and five or six small cat fish with broken biscuit, are put in, with an abundance of garlic onions, red and black pepper, salt and leaves of sweet bay, for a high seasoning; the whole thoroughly cooked and eaten cold.

CHOCOLATE KISSES

   Happy Valentine's Day.
   From THE CULTIVATOR & COUNTRY GENTLEMAN, 3 September 1874, pg. 567, col. 4:

   CHOCOLATE KISSES.--Three heaping tablespoonfuls of grated chocolate; one pound of granulated sugar; the whites of four eggs; beat the eggs to a froth; not too stiff; add the sugar and chocolate, and stir well together; flavor with 30 drops of vanilla; drop on buttered paper with a teaspoon; bake in a moderate oven for ten minutes.