Blue Screen of Death (was: Computer haiku)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 13 19:55:06 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Drew Danielson wrote:

> I seem to remember hearing "Blue Screen of Death" before '97 even, but I
> have no idea the exact context.  Can someone help with a source and date
> for this term?  Eric Randolph's Jargon File also cites the 1998 Salon
> article as a precedent to popular usage of the phrase, but the second
> kid 1997 cites pan out...
>
> Can anyone else go any earlier than these citations??

There is a 10 Oct. 1993 usage of "die the blue screen death" in the Google
archive of news groups.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,