pleonasms

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Feb 13 23:04:16 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

#On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, ANNE V. GILBERT wrote:
#
#>"Ink pen" is another one. I hear a lot.
#
#I'm not sure "ink pen" qualifies. My credit union now requires
#[electronic] signatures with an "inkless pen."
#
#I had never heard "ink pen" until I moved to Knoxville in 1974 - the first
#place I heard it was in the Computer Center.

I heard it in Corbin, Ky., in 1966, LONG before inkless pens, and from
speakers who had probably never seen a computer. Few had, back then.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large