pleonasms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 13 14:25:13 UTC 2002

At 9:29 PM -0500 2/13/02, Baker, John wrote:
>         You must not have the pin/pen merger.  I've used "ink pen" as a
>disambiguating phrase any number of times.  And "lead pencil" is not
>tautologous, because there are non-lead pencils too.
>
>John Baker

I would think "ink pen" isn't that common a disambiguator in just
those dialects that have the merger.  While there aren't too many
contexts in which you'd need to specify "ink pen" to distinguish it
from "pig pen", I could imagine walking into a general store that
sells both stationery supplies and notions (if that's what a straight
pen is) and having to specify which kind of "pVn" one needed.

larry