hot water heater (was "pleonasms")

Donald M Lance lancedm at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Feb 14 17:17:08 UTC 2002

I agree with Victoria.  We had heaters before we had hot-water-all-the-time
devices.  We had a heater in the living room and then we got a heating
device attached to a tank that would provide hot water for the household.
So we have a tautologous phrase or a phrase with redundancy, an instance of
pleonasm.

I grew up in the same general pen/pin-merger area as Bethany Dumas (South
Texas), and I don't recall our using the term "ink pen."  The putative
disambuguation role of "ink pen" may be regional.

Have any of you guys done a search of this word? -- you guys who are always
looking for early instances of interesting terms.

DMLance

on 2/14/02 10:06 AM, Victoria Neufeldt at vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM