18th C. American English

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Feb 14 21:49:58 UTC 2002

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2002 7:53 AM -0800rrom: FRITZ JUENGLING
<juengling_fritz at smtpgate.salkeiz.k12.or.us>
To: pmcgraw at linfield.edu
Subject: Hi Peter,

Hi Peter,
I can no longer send any messages to the ADS-L. I got caught in the dragnet
when the listowner kicked off that goofball a few weeks ago and have not
been able to get back on.  Anyway, would you be so kind as to forward this
to the list: Here is an article about differences between British and
American English: "American English at the Time of the American Revolution"
by Guy Jean Forgue.  Revue des Langues Vivantes 43:253-269 (1977).
Reprinted in Allen, Harold and Micheal Linn _Dialect and Language
Variation_  Academic Press, 1986.

Then there are _American English_ by Albert Marckwardt  and _Early New
England Pronunciation_ by Anders Orbeck that might be worth a look. Fritz
Juengling

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu