Rahat-Locum ("Turkish Delight")(1808); Nine Yards

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 14 22:45:54 UTC 2002

WHOLE NINE YARDS (continued)

   We've known about a possible military origin for "whole nine yards" for some time.  That's why, in 1999 (one of the first "Bapopik" hits in the new archive), I traveled to the Military College at Carlisle, PA.  I went through every slang list and relevant publication I could find, but I didn't find "the whole nine yards."
   That doesn't mean it isn't there, but just that I couldn't find it in two days' work (also looking for "Murphy's Law").

RAHAT-LOCUM (continued)

TRAVELS THROUGH SEVERAL PROVINCES OF THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE
by Baron Campenhausen
London
1808

   I went through part of this book before, found some great stuff, put it on reserve, and read the rest of it today (before I leave for vacation).
   OED has 1856 for "Rahat-Locum."

Pg. 102:
   In Moldavia there are always small cakes, called Kalzony. served with the soup.
   Their Alva dolze is made of unripe walnuts, preserved in honey; they seem to have adopted this from the Jews.  Another kind of preserve which is common to the Moldavians and Turks, is that which is made of dried grapes, meal, and sugar, kneaded into a paste, and made up into a cubic form; this is called Rahat-Locum in Turkish, and Ratdolze in Moldavian.  Both the Turks and the Moldavians are fond of food that is fat, sweet, and highly peppered.  Sherbet is made either from fruit or flowers, which are cut into boiling syrup, and kept until the whole becomes a solid mass, it is then dissolved in water, and forms a very agreeable beverage.

Pg. 109:
   The gipsies of Moldovia are looked upon with contempt, and are treated with the greatest severity.  Their usual food consists of a small portion of mamaliga and salt fish, half rotten, or thrown into the street as unfit for use.

Pg. 121:
   ...a game called Ligatura, which resembles the children's play of hide the slipper....