Stick pins (was: pleonasms: ink pen)

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 16 20:51:25 UTC 2002

I take it all back (well, some of it).  I'm calling for age-grading on this
one.  I went to my parents' yesterday and decided to check on this "straight"
vs. "stick" business.  Mother agreed that "stick pin" is the decorative type
while "straight pin" is the sewing type.  I was aghast.
So, I checked with my roommates and showed them the web-site pic (without the
title).  That thing, which is basically what the Red Cross gives out, was
definately a "pin".  The thing to sew with was a.) "stick pin" or b.) "sewing
pin".  Neither agreed with "straight pin" (but one roommate tried to make the
difference between the sewing pins with colored balls on the top).  The
second roommate had never heard of "stick pin".  We're all So.IL, early 20s.
And that's my final thought.... probably.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale