Bubble Drinks, Malasada, Poi

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 17 07:47:13 UTC 2002

BUBBLE DRINKS--I went to "Hawaii's Best Desserts" at the Ala Moana Mall.  They have Bubble Drinks--like Smoothies--as well as Bubble Tea.  See www.bubble-drink.com.  I tried one, but I hate it when that tapioca ball comes through the straw...It's "Shaved Ice" here, the first time I saw that today.

MALASADAS--Also sold at the mall.  I tried Google, and Hawaii was the first hit, although it's said to be Portuguese.  OED?  I had trouble signing on to oed.com just now.

POI BOWL--The mall place had mahimahi, ahi, loco moco, lomi salmon, kalua pig, kalua cabbage, pork lau lau, chicken lau lau, poke, haupia, and poi.  If you tell them that it's your first day in Hawaii and that you found the first citation of "poi" anywhere, they don't give you anything.

HAWAIIAN SLANG (1930)--The book is also titled SPEAK HAWAIIAN, but it was missing on th Uni. of Hawaii's shelves.