Pidgin To Da Max (1981)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 18 07:17:57 UTC 2002

   "Shave Ice" and "Malassada" and much more are explained in THE FOOD OF PARADISE (1996) by Rachel Laudan.  This is the best Hawaiian food book I could find.  It won a cookbook award....She says that "malassada" is in Katherine Bezore's Hawaiian cookbook (1940).  I have that copied somewhere in my apartment.
   Mariani got his 1955 "haupia" from DARE (just re-checked).  Boy, is DARE awful on these things.  If DARE doesn't have "shave ice," just don't blame me!

Peppo's
PIDGIN TO DA MAX
Conceived, written and illustrated by Douglas Simonson (Peppo)
in collaboration with Ken Sakata and Pat Sasaki
The Bess Press (www.besspress,com), Honolulu
1981
1st printing, December 1981  5,000 copies
(...)
18th printing, January 2000  5,000 copies

   I found this in a used bookstore near the University of Hawaii.  It's the only slang book I've come across.

(No page numbers)
ACT
AKAMAI...Smart.
ALL BUS' UP...Destroyed.
ALA-ALAS...The family jewels.
AN' DEN?
ANY KINE...Anything.
ASS WHY
ASS WHY HARD
BACHAN...Buddahead popo.
BAFE, BAVE...To take one bocha, o'one showah.
BAG...To leave, to split.
BAGGIES...Surfer shorts.
BAGOONG..Fish sauce.  Filipino hum ha.
BAKTARE...Cucko.. Lolo.
BAMBUCHA...Big.
BANANA...Haolefied Oriental.  Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
BEEF..Fight.
BEN
BENJO...Japanese word for LUA.
BENTO...Box Lunch.
BILOT...Filipina fufuna.
BLALA...The Moke's Moke.
BOBURA...Japanese person born and raised in Japan who has the nerve to come to Hawaii.
BOCHA...Bath.
BADDAH YOU
BOLOHEAD
BORINQUE...Puerto Rican.
BORO-BOROS...The most had-it clothes you own.
BOTO...Manong chimpo.
BRAH...Bruddah.
BREAK
BROK'
BUDDAHEAD...Japanese person.  Careful how you use this.
BUGGAH...Guy, friend
BUKBUK...Manong
BULAI...Lies.
BUMBYE...Soon enough.
BUMMAHS
BUS' UP
BUT
CANNOT
CATCH ME UP, CATCH YOU UP
CHAWAN CUT...Like one upside-down bowl on top yo' head.
CHEE
CHICKEN SKIN
CHIMPO
CHING-CHING
CHO-CHO LIPS
CHOP SUEY...Kapakahi; all mixed up.
COASTING
COCKROACH
COME
COOL HEAD MAIN TING
CRACK SEED...Pake munchies.
DA
DA KINE
DAIKON LEGS
DAT
-DEM
DOO ITASHIMASHITE (don't touch my MUS tache)
DRILLED
EASY
EH?
EHU
'EM
ETE
EVERY TIME
'EY!
FA'A FAFINE...Samoan mahu.
FLIP...Bukbuk, Manong.
F.O.B....Fresh Off the Boat.(...) Also J.O.J.: Just Off the Jet.
FOR, FO'
FOR WHAT?/FOR WHY?
FOR DAYS
FO' REAL
FROM BEFORE
FROM LONG TIME
FROM NOW
FRUIT PUNCH
FUFUNA...Samoan or Tongan lady's da kine.  (USE WITH CAUTION.)
FUNNY KINE
FUT
FUTLESS
GARANS...Guaranteed.
GECKO
GEEV'UM
GET
GET CHANCE?
GO, GOING
GOOD FUN
GOOFY FOOT
GRIND..To eat.
GRINDS..Food.
-GUYS

(I can't copy the whole book.  You can probably buy it on Amazon or Bookfinder or Bibliofind, if it's not in a local library.  Check these A-G entries with Lighter's RHHDAS A-G--ed.)