pronoun trace

Simon_Beth Simon at IPFW.EDU
Tue Feb 19 15:07:42 UTC 2002

Ditto here too.

beth

beth lee simon
associate professor, linguistics and english
indiana university purdue university
tel 219 481 6761; simon at ipfw.edu; fax 219 481 6985

>>> fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU 02/18/02 11:19 AM >>>
> Thank you, Arnold! I've been equally puzzled by the discussion. Not
only do
> I find the original sentence perfectly good, I can't imagine any other
way
> to express it that doesn't involve heavy paraphrase.
>
> Alice

Ditto. There is no way (for my grammar) that "him" in the clause under
discussion is a resumptive pronoun of the kind that Beverly originally
gave examples of (as in the Agassi quote, "And it's those that love you
the most that you want the most for them.").

Ben