Answer to query

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 20 18:49:08 UTC 2002

>What event will we be able to celebrate at 8:02 tonight (regardless
>of which time zone we happen to be in) that hardly ever occurred
>before and that will occur only once again in history?

That moment can be expressed in military/timetable format and in the
non-US calendar dialects (the ones where our WOTY is 11/9 rather than
9/11) as

20:02 20/02 2002

--as palindromic as it is elegant.  When was the last time this
happened?  Well, depending on what the meaning of "this" is, it
happened... [spoiler space]

at 12:21 12/21 1221
and, before that, at the even more elegant 11:11 11/11 1111 (in all
calendarlects)
(Note that there were either one or two such golden moments in each
case, depending on which mode your watch was set to.)  And finally,
contrary to what has been claimed, there will be one more such golden
moment; make your dinner reservations now for...

21:12 21/12 2112.  See you then!

larry