Skyjump; Mai Tai; Melting Moments

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 21 01:24:11 UTC 2002

SKYJUMP

   There's a "skyjump" (registered trademark) here in Auckland, off the TV
tower.  For those too tired to bungee.
   If I wanted to jump off a tall building, though, I'd go to Chicago.

MAI TAI (continued)

MRS. HAWAII'S COOK BOOK
by Laurie Bachran, Mrs. Hawaii 1963
1964

(No page number)
   MAI TAI
>From Trader Vic's comes the exotic Mai Tai, as _only_ they prepare it.  WIth
it comes the warning that only the brave dare drink more than two!

HAWAI'I:
TROPICAL RUM DRINKS & CUISINE BY DON THE BEACHCOMBER
by Arnold Bitner & Phoebe Beach
Mutual Publishing, Honolulu
2001

   The authors claim that "Trader Vic" once said that "Don the Beachcomber"
invented the Mai Tai.  Combine that with my previous post on this, and we
have three claims for it.
   However, look at the early drink menus in front of the book, particularly
"Don the Beachcomber's Delectable Thirty."  Mai Tai is NOT there!

MELTING MOMENTS

   I tried the ADS-L archives, but I'm stuck looking at a blue bar.  I
thought I had posted on this from Australia.  Is the dish from Australia or
New Zealand?  Is it in the OED??

HILO WOMAN'S CLUB
COOK BOOK
1937

Pg. 110:
   MOMENTS MELTING
8 tbsp. flour
6 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. icing sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Salt
   Cream butter and sugar, add flour, baking powder and salt.  Take 1/2
teaspoon of mixture, roll into little ball and press down flat with a fork.
Bake in slow oven until pale yellow.  Make into cookie sandwich by combining
2 cookies with powdered sugar icing.

MISC.

   The first DA KINE drink should read "Sugar Bird."  Sorry for the typo.
   More "Mud" (It's a pudding!  It's a pie!  It's a cake!  It's--!) below:

MUD-PUDDING CAKE--On page 51 of A BOOK OF FAVORITE RECIPES, compiled by the
Salvation Army Women's Auxiliary of Homolulu and Waioli Tea Room Restaurant
(Circulation Service, Kansas CIty, MO, 1968).