Afghans (New Zealand cookies)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 21 04:30:06 UTC 2002

   Afghan cookies?  Nah, I'll hold out for Osama bin Laden cream pie.
   They're everywhere.  Well, maybe not everywhere.  They're not at the
Japanese and Korean restaurants, which are everywhere.  But everywhere else.
   This book has sold 160,000 copies since it was first published in 1971.
The public library didn't have many others of interest.

NEW ZEALAND WOMAN'S WEEKLY COOKBOOK
edited by Tui FLower
Shortland/Rigby Publishers, AUckland
1984

Pg. 172, col. 2:
   _Afghans_
200 grams butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup cornflakes
_Icing:_
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
about 3 tablespoons water
walnut pieces
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Sift togather flour and cocoa
and mix into the butter mixture.  Fold in the cornflakes.  Put in spoonfuls
on a lightly greased oven tray.  Bake at 180 degrees C for 15 to 20 minutes.
When cool ice with chocolate icing and top with walnut pieces.  Makes 30.
_Chocolate Icing:_  Sift icing sugar and cocoa together.  Add sufficient
water to get a spreading consistency.

Pg. 61:  Muttonburgers...Wineburgers.
Pg. 171:  Melting Moments.
Pg. 174:  Nainoma Bar.

MISC.
   Anybody got a date for me to beat on "Pavlova"?
   "Louise Slices" were sold at a local bakery.  Louise is coconut.
   The Cafe Francais in the Civic Center area here has "Afghan Cookies" and
also "Chocolate Sludge Cake."  I've been working on "mud" so much that I
forgot "sludge."