Fwd: CFP: FEL VI: Endangered Languages and their Literatures: Antigua, Guatemala. 8-10 August 2002

Sonja L. Lanehart lanehart at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Thu Feb 21 21:57:47 UTC 2002

>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:17:03 +0000
>To: Recipient List Suppressed:;
>From: Nicholas Ostler <nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: CFP: FEL VI: Endangered Languages and their Literatures: Antigua,
>  Guatemala. 8-10 August 2002
>Sender: owner-linganth at ats.rochester.edu
>Call for Abstracts:
>
>FEL VI: "Endangered Languages and their Literatures:
>Building a Past for the Future"
>
>Antigua, Guatemala. 8-10 August 2002
>
>One of the most powerful functions of a language is that of
>repository for the culture and worldview of its speakers.  Its
>grammar and lexicon store the shared experiences of past
>generations, and a language is the channel by which these images,
>emotions, knowledge and beliefs are transmitted to the next.  A
>language does not just transmit messages; it decorates them
>aesthetically, and so facilitates their reception and retention.
>
>Thus literature, both in spoken and written forms, is a key
>crossover point between the life of a language and the lives of its
>speakers. Literature gives a language prestige; and knowledge of its
>literature enriches a language's utility for its speakers.  Both act
>to build the loyalty of speakers to their own language.  All these
>effects then reinforce one another in a virtuous cycle.
>What exactly is the relationship between a minority language facing
>increased pressure and its literatures? Does the oral and/or written
>tradition hold a key to the language's future survival? The sixth
>international conference of the Foundation for Endangered Languages
>aims to pinpoint the processes and seek new tactics for looking at
>literary traditions as a means of promoting the vitality of small
>languages.
>
>We hope to find answers to many questions, not all of them obvious.
>For example:
>*      The (re)writing of our history: How endangered language
>communities seek to establish a stronger  sense of their past on
>which to build their future?
>*      How does the power of language preserve and propagate aspects
>of cultural tradition and stimulate new departures in keeping with
>the old?
>*      Emerging literatures and literacies: What are the pedagogical
>and linguistic issues involved in EL literary production?
>*      How does the use of creative-writing workshops,
>poetry-festivals and literary contests impact language
>revitalization?
>*      How do oral literatures and their transmission across
>generations help revitalize endangered languages or to reverse
>language-shift?
>*      Translation issues (from and into EL):  Who is the target
>audience and what is the target effect?
>*      What are the symbolic as well as communicative functions of
>endangered languages in literature?
>*      How do efforts from within the community to maintain language
>address its literary tradition?

> [...]

Sonja L. Lanehart
Department of English                   706-542-2260 (office)
University of Georgia                   706-542-1261 (dept.)
300 Park Hall                           706-542-2181 (fax)
Athens, GA 30602-6205     http://www.arches.uga.edu/~lanehart