continents

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Fri Feb 22 15:35:20 UTC 2002

Larry's point abt. Iceland is well taken: culture overrides geography for
most of us.  Ask people if Israel is in Asia and they hedge--less so than
Arabia or Yemen (although some people will say "Africa")--the hedge usually
takes the form of creating the Middle East as a continent!  India's
"sub-continent status" is another example.  We don't want geographical
(i.e. primarily geological) data to interfere with our notions of cultural
"We are all New Yorkers"
       --Dominique Moisi