America and Americans / Europeans

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Feb 22 18:35:23 UTC 2002

--On Friday, February 22, 2002 10:26 am -0800 FRITZ JUENGLING
<juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US> wrote:

> I have a student from Arkansas, who insists that Arkansas is in the
> Midwest.  Her logic--Arkansas is next to Missouri and Missouri is in the
> Midwest. Fritz

I had a friend who moved from NYC to Ohio and constantly complained about
being 'in the midwest'.  I, being from western NY (and living in Illinois
at the time), insisted that Ohio was still 'east'.  I think my reasoning
was that Ohio and NY are both on Lake Erie, so they have to both be in the
same region.

It's all relative...
Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844