QUESTION: Meaning & etymology of "mosey"

Richard Gage rgage at INTRAH.ORG
Sat Feb 23 22:18:08 UTC 2002

These two quotes appear a few paragraphs apart, so the apparent connection
between "mosey" and "Moses" may be pure coincidence.  Who's to say?

THE ROUND-UP: A ROMANCE OF ARIZONA by John Murray and Mills Miller
New York : G.W. Dillingham Company, c1908
< ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/etext96/rndup10.txt >

CHAPTER I: The Cactus Cross
. . .
"Now I can empty my canteen in the coffee-pot, sure of a fresh supply of water
by the time I am ready to mosey along."
. . . [then a few paragraphs later] . . .

"Gee, I'm a regular Moses," he [the prospector] ejaculated.  "First I bring
water from the face of the rock, and then I lift up the serpent in the
wilderness.  The year I've spent in the mountains and desert seem like forty to
me, and now, at last, I have a sight of the Promised Land.  God, what a
magnificent view!"