ADS in NY Times

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 24 08:55:43 UTC 2002

  Go to www.nytimes.com and it's the story under the Olympic photo, or www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/nyregion/24word.html.
  It's a story about the words of 9/11, and interviewed are Allan Metcalf, Wayne Glowka, Steve Kleinelder, David K. Barnhart, and Jesse Sheidlower.
  No one, of course, interviewed me.  I live in New York City.  I did "911."

ROOT--It's mentioned on that Kiwi slang site I gave.  A woman said she "roots" for the football team, and the Kiwis, astonished, asked "ROOTS THE WHOLE FOOTBALL TEAM?"
BUTCHERY--used for "butcher shop."
DANISH CONES--not simply ice cream cones here.
SAMMIE--a sandwich.
WOOD-FIRED--in New York City, pizza is "brick oven."  In New Zealand, everything is "wood-fired."
ETPOS--Electronic Funds Transfer Purchase On Site, or something like that.  It's everywhere and should be in the OED.
MOOROOMBAH HAT--a word or a trade name?
NEW ZEALAND, WHERE MEN ARE MEN AND SHEEP ARE NERVOUS--strangely absent from the rest room stalls here.