kosher & halal

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 25 14:59:29 UTC 2002

At 8:27 AM -0500 2/25/02, David Bergdahl wrote:
>....from eat-halal.com:
>
>Kosher
>
>* Jews are allowed to consume many types of alcohol, while Muslims must
>abstain from all forms of intoxicants, including alcohol.

The most intriguing part of this post to me is the inference I feel
licensed to draw from the above that Jews who maintain the dietary
laws are not allowed to consume some types of alcohol.
Granted that this puzzler is not strictly ads-related (but then
neither is the halal/kosher distinction, so I'm only leading us
slightly further down the unkosher trail)--but just which types could
they be?  Mexican mezcal with non-kosher maguey worms in the bottle?
Corned-beef infused Irish Cream liqueur?  Pork-belly stout?
Shrimp-based aperitifs?  The mind boggles.

larry