kosher & halal

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Feb 25 16:31:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, David Bergdahl wrote:

#* Kosher laws do not require Jews to pronounce the name of God at the time
#of slaughter. On the other hand, Muslims are required to recite the name of
#Allah at the time of slaughter. For this reason, Muslims are not allowed to
#consume Kosher meat. For more information, please click here.

When we lived in Berkeley, Calif., we bought our meat from a kosher
butcher in Oakland. We often encountered Muslims buying meat there,
presumably because there was no halal butcher available (and
satisfactory?) to them and they could be sure that kosher meat was not
contaminated with pork. (Or shellfish, etc.; I don't know if halal rules
forbid the other creatures, besides the pig, that kosher rules forbid.)

-- Mark A. Mandel