kosher & halal

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 27 05:10:49 UTC 2002

At 8:07 PM -0600 2/26/02, Donald M Lance wrote:
>on 2/26/02 7:20 PM, Laurence Horn at laurence.horn at YALE.EDU wrote:
>
>  >>
>>>  That's not surprising, considering that this most famous aspect of
>>>  kashrut all stems from rabbinic elaboration of a single verse, "Do not
>>>  stew a kid/calf in its mother's milk."
>>>
>>  Exactly.  Somehow it's hard to imagine the Talmudic scholars had
>>  cheeseburgers in mind...
>>
>>  larry
>>
>My, my.  What a limited imagination.  They also, I'm sure, had American
>pizza in mind.
>DMLance

Most pizza ruled out by the kid-in-its-mother's-milk constraint is
independently ruled out by the nature of the meat (pepperoni,
sausage).  Yes, I know it's possible in principle to opt for a
meatball/hamburger and mozzarella pie, but I'd think if you were
going the meat topping route you might as well go whole hog.

larry