take-out etc. (was: kosher & halal)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Feb 27 17:00:23 UTC 2002

BTW, what ever happened to "carry-out"?  I first ran across "take-out" on a
visit to Canada many years ago.  It struck me as a very distinctive
Canadianism.  I don't know when it happened, but somehow in the intervening
years, "take-out" seems to have completely replaced "carry-out" in the U.S.

(While America sleeps, that notorious Canadian linguistic imperialism
strikes again! :)

Peter Mc.

--On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:07 PM +0000 Lynne Murphy
<lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 10:02 am -0500 Laurence Horn
> <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>>
>> (or get it as
>> take-out, or whatever the British word for that is)
>
> "take-away"
>

> Lynne

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR