binky

Tue Jan 1 20:20:35 UTC 2002

As I recall, my sister-in-law used "binky" with her kids (and they did with
their kids, I believe), and I think I've heard it elsewhere too.  When my
son was born, the "in" brand was Nuk, from Germany?  So the Binky brand
(generalized to binky) may have preceded the Nuk (and presumably others).

By the way, "pickanniny" (which you may have meant by 'pinkeny'?) did
indeed come from Spanish "pequeno" (assume tilde) or its Portuguese
equivalent, to mean "little one," and it was adopted by English-based
creoles.  But I don't think we have to stretch this to include "pink" (and
why a Dutch link?).  The "binkie/pinkie" connection makes some sense though.