Cuban Cookery (1931); Ajiaco (1912)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 3 03:17:36 UTC 2002

CUBAN COOKERY:
GASTRONOMIC SECRETS OF THE TROPICS, WITH AN APPENDIX ON CUBAN DRINKS
by Blanche Z. De Baralt
Editorial "Hermes," Havana
1931

   It's in the NYPL, and as good as anything I saw in the Cuban National Library.  It's in English.

Pg. 9:  Thus the national Olla of Spain is converted here into the Cuban Ajiaco; a thick soup, of course, but composed of entirely different ingredients.  Instead of beef and ham, we find pork.  Instead of potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage, garbanzos (chick peas) etc. we have sweet potatoes, yams, malangas, bananas, corn &.

Pg. 19:  AJIACO
   This is the national dish of Cuba, especially in the country.  It is a thick soup full of vegetables.  Some of each kind should be served in every plate.

Pg. 32:  _SHELL FISH_
      MORO CRABS
   If there is one thing for which Havana has a well founded reputation, it is certainly for its moro crabs (not Morro like the Morro Castle, if you please, but moro, meaning Moorish).  They are simply insuperable.

Pg. 38:  REVOLTILLO. (Cuban scrambled eggs).
Pg. 43:  PICADILLO. (Cuban hash).
Pg. 46:  ROPA VIEJA. (Rags).
Pg. 48:  EMPANADAS. (Fritters with minced meat).
Pg. 50:  CHIVIRICOS.
Pg. 57:  _BEANS_
      FRIJOLES NEGROS. (black beans).
Pg. 58:  RED BEANS. (Frijoles coloradas).
Pg. 59:  JUDIAS. (White beans).
      JUDIAS EN MUNYETAS. (Fried white beans).
Pg. 60:  MOROS Y CRISTIANOS. (Moors and Christians).
Pg. 61:  CONGRIS.
      GARBANZOS. (chick peas).
Pg. 72:  FRIED PLANTAINS.
Pg. 73:  BANANA CHIPS. (Galleticas).
Pg. 86:  GUACAMOLE.
Pg. 87:  QUIMBOMBO. (Okra).
Pg. 106:  BREAD FRITTERS. (Torrejas).
      HULA-HULA.
      COQUIMOL OR COCONUT MILK.
Pg. 107:  CAFIROLETA.
      COCO QUEMADO. (Toasted coconut).
Pg. 121:  ORIGINAL DAIQUIRI COCKTAIL
      CUBAN MANHATTAN COCKTAIL
      PRESIDENTE COCKTAIL
Pg. 122:  MARY PICKFORD COCKTAIL
      ISLE OF PINES COCKTAIL
      HAVANA YACHT CLUB COCKTAIL
Pg. 123:  GIN COCKTAIL
      MANHATTAN COCKTAIL
      BRIDGE COCKTAIL
Pg. 124:  MAH JONG COCKTAIL
      FRENCH CANADIAN COCKTAIL
      VERMOUTH COCKTAIL
Pg. 125:  SHERRY COCKTAIL
      CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL (Dry)
      CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL (Sweet)
Pg. 126:  CREOLE COCKTAIL (Old fashioned)
      GRAPEFRUIT BLOSSOM
Pg. 127:  BACARDI BLOSSOM
      CLOVER CLUB COCKTAIL
      CLOVER LEAF COCKTAIL
Pg. 128:  MERRY WIDOW COCKTAIL
      DUBONNET COCKTAIL
      HAVANNA COOLER
Pg. 129:  PLANTER'S PUNCH
      RUM COCKTAIL (Cuban mojo) ("Mojito" anyone?--ed.)
Pg. 130:  _OTHER DRINKS_
      BACARDI FIZZ
      BACARDI SILVER FIZZ
      GOLDEN FIZZ
Pg. 131:  BACARDI PINEAPPLE FIZZ
      SHERRY FLIP
      PORT WINE FLIP
Pg. 132:  SHANDY GAFF
      CUBAN MILK PUNCH
      HOT ITALIAN LEMONADE
Pg. 133:  OLD SOUTHERN MINT JULEP
      SHERRY COBBLER
Pg. 134:  COFFEE FRAPPE
      CUBAN POUSSE.
      POUSSE CAFE
Pg. 138:  PINA FRIA (Pineapple juice)
Pg. 139:  CHAMPOLA (Guanabana refresco)
      ANON REFRESCO
      ENSALADA (Salad)
Pg. 141:  TAMARIND
      BUL
A very popular drink.
   Juice of half a lime
   One tablespoonful sugar
   Half a glassful light beer
   Half a glassful water
   Shake with cracked ice.

AJIACO (continued)

   A long article is in THE CUBA MAGAZINE, October 1912, pg. 81, col. 1:

      _Ajiaco_
_A Cuban Dish, Fearfully_
_and Wonderfully Made._

A GENERAL favorite among Cuban dishes is a marvellous concoction called _ajiaco_.  The following recipes for its fabrication were translated from a cook book called _El Cocinero Criollo_.  The author of this volume is a very well known Havana physician and his critics have cruelly intimated that he had an eye out for business when he published it.
   _Ajiaco de Puerto Principe_...
   _Ajiaco de Monte_...
   _Ajiaco Campestre_...
(Col. 2--ed.)
   _Ajiaco Bayames_...
   _Ajiaco Cardenense_...
   Ajiaco is served in all the restaurants of Havana; but where it is dished up properly and in all its pristine glory, is in the bohios of the interior, where it is the most substantial part of the guajiro's daily fare.